Brown Sugared Peaches in an Almond Crunch Cake
This is a really good peach cake. But the star of the show is the crunchy almond topping. We’re in love with it and we’re putting it on top of muffins, snacking cakes, and sheet cakes.
The crunchy topping is fantastic and a very nice—and quick—alternative to frosting or a streusel topping. We’ve developed a blueberry cake mix and a blueberry muffin mix with this topping and our customers are delighted.
Universal Almond Crunch Topping
But before we go any further, let me tell you how to make the topping. It’s easy.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of sliced almonds in a medium bowl. This is enough for a 9 x 13-inch pan. Unless you are making two dozen muffins, it’s more than what you need for muffins.
- Add one egg white and 1/4 cup granulated sugar. It’s the egg white that makes the topping crunchy. Stir until well combined.
- Spoon the almond topping over the batter and bake according to the recipe instructions.
The Peach Cake
While we used fresh peaches, we’ve made this cake with blueberries with great success. I’m sure you can make a great cake with cherries or apples too.
We used our Baby Cakes Vanilla Bean Cake Mix and it was perfect. I’m sure there are other cake recipes or mixes that you could use.
- Mix the cake per package instructions.
- Toss 2 1/2 cups fresh peach slices with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg plus two tablespoons brown sugar. Gently fold the peaches into the batter.
- Scrape the batter into a prepared 9 x 13-inch pan. We almost always use parchment paper but you could grease the pan if you prefer.
- Bake until done. It will probably take a couple minutes more than directed because of the addition of the peaches but check it.
Serve this warm or cold—but we preferred warm. We love ooey and gooey. So ice cream or whipped cream is perfect. Putting a dessert sauce on top is great.
So here are our recommendations. These are premade sauces but you can make something from scratch if you prefer.
- Caramel Whipped Cream. (See the recipe for caramel whipped cream or get the mix for caramel whipped cream.)
- Ice cream
- Caramel Designer Dessert Sauce
- Cinnamon Designer Dessert Sauce
- White Chocolate Designer Dessert Sauce
- Buttermilk Syrup and Dessert Sauce
- Lawford’s Private Collection Vanilla Cream Syrup
- Lawford’s Private Collection Cinnamon Cream Syrup