Get this cake mix for free!
This is an orange marmalade upside down cake. It’s made with slices of oranges and a great orange marmalade. It’s topped with orange cloud whipped cream and is a fabulous dessert for a busy day.
We recommend our Vanilla Bean Baby Cakes Mix. It’s a cream cake with more moisture and substance than boxed cake mixes. It matches up perfectly in this recipe.
Use coupon code “made4cc” at checkout.
Expires 4/19/2014. Limit one. Not valid with any other coupon, free or $1.00 deal.
Includes 18 cake recipe ideas
I was kind of narrow minded. Then my daughter, Debbie, opened my eyes. Upside down cakes don’t have to be all about pineapple. Not that pineapple isn’t good—I love pineapple upside down cakes—but there is a whole other world to explore. Like the orange marmalade upside down cake in the picture above.
You can use nearly any fruit combination that you want. (Raspberries and strawberries are a little marginal.)
Use a box cake mix or for a more moist cake with more substance, use one of our cake mixes. That makes them really easy. You don’t have to frost them.
How to Make a Busy Day Upside Down Cake
Step 1: Choose your fruit. It can be fresh, individually frozen, or canned. Drain or prep your fruit.
Step 2: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place a half cube of butter in the pan and put the pan in the oven. Remove the pan once the butter has melted.
Step 3: Mix one cup of brown sugar with the butter in the pan. Distribute the fruit over the brown sugar layer.
Step 4: Mix the cake mix according to package instructions. Add any inclusions such flavor, nuts, ripe bananas, or zest. Spread the cake batter over the fruit layer and bake for 22 to 26 minutes or until done. When done, invert the cake onto a cutting board.
Step 5: Glaze the top of the cake with melted jelly or jam. The glaze adds flavor and makes the cake glistening and attractive.
Serve with sweetened whipped cream. The whipped cream can be flavored with brown sugar and flavors. For two cups cream, add 1/2 cup brown or granulated sugar and two teaspoons flavor. (See recipes for orange cloud and other whipped creams)
Easy Orange Upside Down Cake
This upside down cake uses a boxed cake mix so it is super easy. It’s a great recipe for a busy day.
1/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 box yellow cake mix
vegetable oil, water, and eggs as called for on the cake mix box
2 teaspoons orange flavor
1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
1/2 cup Elki Orange Marmalade or equal
1 tablespoons water
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grate the zest from the oranges. With a paring knife, peal the oranges removing the outer white membrane. Slice the oranges horizontally into 1/4 inch thick slices. Remove the seeds. Set aside.
- In 13 x 9-inch baking pan, melt the butter in the oven. Spread brown sugar over butter and stir in and then spread evenly across the bottom of the pan. Arrange orange slices on the brown sugar.
- Make the cake batter as directed on box, adding the orange zest and orange flavor. Pour the batter over the orange slices and brown sugar.
- Bake for 32 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for about three minutes. Place a large serving plate or cutting board upside down on pan so that the pan is covered. Turn the plate and cutting board over and, holding the pan and cutting broad together about three inches off the counter, drop the two together. The cake will pop out onto the cutting board. Remove the pan. Cool 20 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make the orange marmalade glaze. Add the marmalade and water to a small saucepan. Heat until the marmalade is melted. Brush the glaze over the cake. Serve with the whipped cream.
Orange Cloud Whipped Cream
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons orange flavor
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 tablespoons meringue powder
Whip the cream to soft peaks. Add the sugar, flavor, and zest and continue whipping.
17 More Recipe Ideas
- Blueberry Upside Down Cake with Lemon Cloud Whipped Cream
- Banana Pecan Upside Down Cake with Caramel Whipped Cream
- Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- Pear Upside Down Cake
- Pear Ginger Upside Down Cake
- Pear Nut Upside Down Cake
- Pear Honey Upside Down Cake
- Peach Upside Down Cake
- Cranberry Upside Down Cake
- Cranberry Nut Upside Down Cake
- Cranberry Orange Upside Down Cake
- Cranberry Apple Upside Down Cake
- Apple Upside Down Cake
- Plum Upside Down Cake
- Cherry Upside Down Cake
- Apricot Upside Down Cake
- Apricot Cherry Upside Down Cake