Chicken and New Potatoes Skillet Dinner
This is our all-time favorite chicken skillet dinner—chicken and new potatoes slathered in sour cream. We’ve been making it for years, ever since we lived in Alaska where we grew scads of potatoes (yes, veggies grow well in The Land of the Midnight Sun—at least the cool weather crops). Anyway, try this while there are still some of those good little red potatoes available.
Chicken and New Potatoes Skillet Dinner Recipe
It’s hard to go wrong with chicken, new potatoes, and sour cream. This recipe mixes the three in a stovetop, skillet dinner that is easy and almost foolproof. It only has a few ingredients and you don’t have to slave over a five course meal. Best of all, your family will love this dinner.
a cut-up fryer or thighs or drumsticks
salt and pepper to taste
new potatoes—as many as you choose to fill out the pan
4-6 green onions
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 to 3/4 cup water
1 pound frozen or fresh green peas
1 tsp crushed thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Place the chicken in a 12 inch skillet. Salt and pepper the pieces. Brown the chicken over medium heat.
2. Partially peel the new potatoes. (They just look better with some of the red skins remaining.) Add the potatoes to the skillet. Cook the chicken and the potatoes until both are tender.
3. Remove the chicken and potatoes to a platter. Skim off the excess fat remaining in the pan.
4. Snip the green onions into the pan. Add the sour cream and water and heat the mixture until it starts to bubble, stirring frequently with a spatula.
5. Add the peas, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir. Add the chicken and potatoes, cover and heat for five minutes to reheat the chicken and potatoes. Serve hot.