How to Make a Chocolate Zucchini Pound Cake
A chocolate zucchini pound cake seemed like such a natural. Zucchini makes cakes and breads moist and dense. That’s the way pound cakes are supposed to be. Both of these recipes delivered.
Chocolate Zucchini Pound Cake from a Mix
We used our Fudgy Baby Cake Mix and patterned this after the Cinnamon Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe. The fudgy cake mix comes with mini chocolate chips in the mix so it is very similar to the zucchini bread with cinnamon chips.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare a 9 x 5 inch bread pan by greasing and flouring or lining with parchment paper.
- In your stand-type mixer, beat the cake mix, oil, eggs, and zucchini for about three minutes. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 58 minutes or until done. Let the loaf cool for 20 minutes in the pan and then remove it to a wire rack. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
Chocolate Zucchini Pound Cake from Scratch
- Grease the pan well with shortening,
- Dust the pan with cocoa to help it release,
- and use a soft-bladed silicone spatula to break the sides loose from the pan.
Bundt cakes tend to be fragile, especially while still warm. As they cool, the cake sets and is less fragile. We let the cake cool for ten minutes before remove the cake from the pan. I would suggest setting your timer for ten minutes.
The recipe calls for dry buttermilk powder. You do not need to reconstitute the buttermilk but can add the dry buttermilk to the mix. The water comes later.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Ramstadt Breda Rich Dark Cocoa or equal
1/3 cup dry buttermilk powder
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup dark chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a standard 9 1/2-inch bundt pan.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and powdered buttermilk together in a medium bowl.
- With your stand-type mixer, mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and water. Mix in about half of the dry ingredients and then the vegetable oil. Add the remainder of the dry ingredients and mix.
- Fold in the grated zucchini, pecans, and about half of the chocolate chips.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the batter. Bake for 55 minutes or until done. Cool on a wire rack for ten minutes before removing the cake from the pan.
To get more like this . . .
We’re baking in our test kitchen every day. If you would like the best recipes and methods from our test kitchen, just tell us where to send them.
Enter your email address here. You’ll get tested recipes and proven methods to make the very best desserts and treats.