Salted Caramel Cupcakes
Over the last two weeks, we have made hundreds of cupcakes with liquid centers, either thick sauces or thick ice cream fillings. We’ve learned that the best combinations are with cream cake mixes like our baby cake mixes and thick sauces like our ice cream toppings. While that is the best, thinner sauces like our toffee sauce works and surprisingly, box mixes from the grocery stores work. If you are using thinner sauces and box cupcakes, don’t let the cupcakes sit for over a few hours.
We have a scrumptious caramel ice cream topping that was begging for a cupcake. So we made salted caramel cupcakes.
A Recipe for Salted Caramel Cupcakes
We used our Vanilla Bean Baby Cakes Mix. It’s a cream cake, much denser and moister than box mixes. We pressed caramel ice cream topping into each baked cupcake. Then we added the caramel ice cream topping to a buttercream frosting and frosted the cupcakes.
They were yummy.
- Follow the instructions for the cake mix.
- After baking, place about a cup and a half of thick caramel topping in a disposable pastry bag. Cut the tip off the bag leaving an opening just larger than 1/4 inch. Stick the open end of the bag into the tops of the cupcakes and squeeze a tablespoon or so of toping into each.
- Make the frosting according to this recipe and frost the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle a little pink Himalayan salt on the cupcakes.
Carmel Frosting Recipe
1 cup caramel ice cream topping warmed just until it flows a bit. Do not overheat.
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon caramel flavor
several tablespoons milk or whipping cream
- Scrape the soft caramel into the bowl of your stand-type mixer. Making sure that the caramel is not too warm to melt the butter, add the cold butter to the caramel. Beat the butter into the caramel.
- Add the powdered sugar and flavor and beat in. Add enough milk or whipping cream to reach the right consistency.
To get more like this . . .
We’re baking in our test kitchen every day. If you would like the best recipes and methods from our test kitchen, just tell us where to send them.
Enter your email address here. You’ll get tested recipes and proven methods to make the very best desserts and treats.