How to Make the Best Cream Soup
When I left for work this morning, it was five below with a sharp breeze coming around the corner of the house. No wonder soup for lunch sounded good.
I love cream soups–cream of potato soup, cream of broccoli soup, cream of mushroom soup, and more. They are really very easy and homemade is so much better than from a can. We’ll give you the recipes for these soups and tell you how to make more.
Five Steps to Great Cream Soup
It’s simple. First you make the base and then you add the veggies.
Cream soups can be made with almost any vegetable by pureeing the vegetable and adding it back to the soup base. Some cream
soups, like mushroom and corn, are made without pureeing the vegetables.
- Cook the starch. Most cream soups have a flour base and often an onion for flavoring. Sauté the onion in butter. Add the flour and cook while stirring until the butter and flour is combined into a thick paste. The cooking should only last a minute or two and the flour should not be browned.
- Cook the soup base. While still cooking, pour a little of the stock into the flour and stir to dissolve. Add the rest of the stock and simmer for ten minutes. Your soup base should thicken as it cooks to the consistency of a light sauce.
- Add the vegetables. Add and cook the vegetables until they are tender. Salt and pepper to taste. (The amount of salt will vary depending on the sodium in the broth.)
- Puree the soup. Pour the soup into a blender in batches and puree until smooth. Pass the pureed soup through a strainer to catch any lumps. Press the lumps through the strainer with the back of a spoon. Discard any solids.
- Finish the soup. Add the cream, thin with more water if necessary, and adjust the seasoning.
*Wheat flour is typically used as the starch in cream soups. For those who are gluten intolerant, you may use corn starch or a starchy potato. When the potato is pureed, it will thicken the soup.
How to Design Your Own Cream Soups
You can use the instructions above and add almost any vegetable. You can choose to puree all, part, or none of the veggies. All you need is a recipe for the cream soup base and then add your vegetables.
Favorite Cream Soup Recipes
We’ve also included our favorite recipes. These are really good cream soups. We’ve tried each of these and they are all great soup recipes.
To learn more about making soups, get a free digital copy of How to Make Clam Chowder.