Chocolate Banana Muffins or Cupcakes
We tried to make a chocolate banana bread from our Very Fudgy Baby Cakes mix. We loaded the batter with bananas and chocolate chips, put it in a loaf pan, and baked it at 325 degrees. It was fantastic, but the top had a bit of a dip in the center and was not quite round enough. The dough was a little too heavy.
Not to worry, we thought. We would add a bit more structure or reduce the amount of bananas. Trail after trial after trial, we couldn’t correct the problem. We tried more flour, more eggs, more leavening. When we got nice, round tops, it wasn’t quite as moist or banana flavored. We couldn’t reach both round tops and that first great banana flavor.
We finally gave up. That was a couple weeks ago. This morning, I thought, “Why not try the recipe that we liked in a muffin pan?” It made incredible muffins.
The muffins were sweet but not too sweet. I thought they worked just fine, but they were borderline–they could be cupcakes.
So I took a tray of them downstairs to the customers and started handing them out. I asked them if they thought these were muffins or cupcakes. I even offered to go back upstairs and add a banana frosting.
The results were nearly split. A few more folks thought they would be best with frosting. “Just a smear,” one lady said.
Whether you want them as muffins or cupcakes, try this recipe. You’ll have to pick up a cake mix from us, but these muffins/cupcakes are well worth it.
The Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe
1 Very Fudgy Baby Cakes mix
1/3 cup oil
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup ripe mashed bananas
1 teaspoon banana flavoring
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare a muffin pan with paper muffin liners. This recipe will make 20 muffins.
- Mix all the ingredients together in your stand-type mixer. Beat for three minutes at medium speed. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 16 minutes or until done.
If you want to go the scratch route, I’ve included the our best chocolate banana bread recipe.
Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Ramstadt Breda Rich Dark Cocoa or equal
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups very ripe, mashed bananas
1 teaspoon pure banana flavor
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 5-inc loaf pan by greasing well or lining with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside
- In the bowl of your stand-type mixer and with the paddle attachment, mix the eggs, sugar, melted butter, flavor, and mashed bananas together.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until it tests done.
- Remove the loaf from the pan while it is still warm. Let cool on a wire rack. Once completely cool, store in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
To get more like this . . .
We’re baking in our test kitchen every day. If you would like the best recipes and methods from our test kitchen, just tell us where to send them.
Enter your email address here. You’ll get tested recipes and proven methods to make the very best desserts and treats.