Look at the construction:
- A vanilla bean cream cake. A cream cake is denser and moister than most store mixes.
- A filling of Bavarian cream and pineapple.
- A cream cheese frosting.
You should have your cupcakes baked, filled, and frosted in about an hour.
For the cupcakes and filling:
Use a cake mix or your favorite recipe. We use our Vanilla Bean Baby Cakes Mix. This mix was designed for cupcakes. It’s a cream cake mix, denser and moister than the store mixes, about half way between the fluffy store mixes and a pound cake. There’s more substance and better balance. The frosting and filling are not so overwhelming.
Snip off the tip of the cream cheese pastry filling bag. Insert it into the cupcake and squeeze a small amount into cupcake–until you feel the cupcake start to swell slightly. Repeat with the pineapple pastry filling. Repeat with the rest of the cupcakes.
If you don’t have premade pastry fillings, use this scratch recipe for the pineapple cream cheese filling.
12 ounces cream cheese
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
Mix the ingredients together using an electric mixer.
There are two ways to get your scratch filling inside the cupcakes: use a pastry bag or a cupcake corer. If you use a pastry bag, attach a star or a round tip and press the tip into the cupcake about 1/2 inch and squeeze the pastry bag until the cupcake swells and feels heavier. (If you overfill the cupcake, cracks will develop around the hole. That’s okay. You’ll cover them with frosting.) Repeat with the rest of the cupcakes.
A cupcake corer cuts a 3/4 inch core from the top and center of your cupcakes. You can then fill the cores with filling using a spoon or table knife. The instructions on the box show capping the holes with tops of the cores that you cut from each cupcake. We don’t bother; we just cover the holes with frosting.
For the Frosting
The buttercream frosting base makes great frosting easy. It’s like a frosting mix but you add the powdered sugar. It’s very economical. .
1/2 cup buttercream frosting base
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup boiling water
1 pound powdered sugar (more as needed)
1 cup softened butter
1 8-oz. package cream cheese.
Egg Yellow or Gold Americolor food coloring gel
- Add the sugar to the hot water in the bowl of your stand-type mixes and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the frosting base and whip with the whisk attachment until peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar. Beat until completely blended.
- Add the butter and cream cheese and whip until well blended. Add more powdered sugar to reach desired consistency.
- Squeeze a few drops of food coloring into frosting and beat until uniform. Frost the cupcakes.
You may also be interested in . . .