How to Make Rustic Tartlets
Use our professional pie crust mix for a perfect, flaky crust and you’ll have your tartlets in the oven in less than ten minutes after peeling the apples. And if you use an Apple Master to core, peel, and slice the apples, it won’t take but minutes to prep the apples.
Roll out the dough, cut the dough into circles, pile apple slices in the center, and fold over the edges. A quick brush of egg creates to create a burnished surface to the crust and you’re ready to go in the oven.
This recipe makes six nice-sized tartlets four to five inches across.
2 cups pie crust mix
5 tablespoons water
3 small apples
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
Turbinado sugar as needed for topping
Ice cream (optional)
Cream syrup (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix the pie crust mix with the water until smooth. Roll out the pie crust and cut into six 6-inch circles.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into wedges. Place in a large bowl with the lemon juice and sprinkle with the cinnamon and 1/4 cup of the sugar and toss.
- Place about 1/2 of an apple in the center of each crust circle. Leaving enough room on the edges to fold the dough over the apples. It’s best to lay out all 6 circles and divide the apple pieces on the circles. If it’s too hard to get the dough to stay, just remove some of the apples.
- Brush some water on edge of each circle. Fold the edges over the filling, making pleats as you go. You may have extra apples, they are good to eat just like that as a snack or you can make more crust for more tartlets.
- Brush the top of the pastries with the egg. Sprinkle each with some sugar.
- Bake until the crusts are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm with cream syrup and ice cream.
To get more like this . . .
We’re baking in our test kitchen every day. If you would like the best recipes and methods from our test kitchen, just tell us where to send them.
Enter your email address here. You’ll get tested recipes and proven methods to make the very best desserts and treats.